A variation of the alternate nostril breathing technique. This pranayama technique has a quieting effect, and reduces mental turbulence. The ultimate effect of this technique is to quietly reduce the mind to becoming a witness to the process, and make the breathing effortless.
Note: Make sure that the nasal passages are clear before beginning. Using a neti pot to clean the sinuses is a method to ensure that the nasal passages are cleansed.
This technique has a relaxing effect on the mind and body.
- Close the right nostril. Exhale through the left, and inhale on a count of 4.
- Close off both nostrils, and retain the breath for a count of 16.
- Keep the left nostril closed, and exhale through the right nostril for a count of 8.
- Keep the left nostril closed, and inhale through the right nostril for a count of 4.
- Close both nostrils for a count of 16.
- Release the left nostril and exhale for a count of 8. This completes one cycle.
- Repeat the process for a set of 10 cycles.
- Use prior to performing mantra meditation to calm the mind.
- Anytime your mind is racing.
- When you need to fall asleep.
Do not perform if you need to be alert.
Labels: Pranayama, Yoga